"Ick, Ew, Grossness!" or "Why I Can Still Scream Like a Little Girl!"

(This incident actually occurred on December 8, 2009. I thought I had posted it, but I guess I didn't. For your reading pleasure...)


Last March we converted from our old gas water heater to a new tankless electric water heater. There was a pipe that vented the old water heater that we didn't have to use with the new one. Barry told me that he wanted to leave it because we would have to patch the roof and he'd rather wait until we replaced the shingles with metal roofing. At the time I asked if it was possible for any creepy crawlies to get in and he told me no. And the only thing that we've had to deal with about the pipe is that when it storms you can hear the wind and rain whipping around the pipe.
So this evening I can hear the the wind hitting the pipe and I suddenly hear something loud coming from it. I didn't pay much attention to it. I just figured it was a hard gust of wind. Then all of a sudden this ginormous RAT walks out of my laundry room! Yes a R-A-T! Not a little field mouse. I'm talking huge! It must have fallen down the pipe and that was the commotion I heard. I screamed. Barry came running. It ran behind my refrigerator. So Barry sat here for 2 1/2 hours waiting to get it. He almost had it twice but it got away. One of the times it literally walked right up to him. He was finally able to hit it with the broom handle (and broke the broom handle) and either stunned it or gave it a heart attack or something and he scooped it up in the dust pan and threw it away. I made him toss the broom handle and dust pan also.
So...Barry's project for tomorrow. Plug up that stupid pipe. BTW...my goofy children thought this was HILARIOUS! Oh and I was standing on the couch, screeching like a little girl every time it came out. Barry said to make sure I included that.
Barry ASSURED me that nothing would get down that pipe. He's a dirty liar. That sucker was huge. I plugged the hole up with newspaper and duct taped a garbage bag over it. I thought I was going to throw up!
Peace,
Jen
AKA The Mommy

Comments

Popular Posts