Free Artwork? What what!

Okay, so most days I don't run over here and blog, but let me tell ya, this is good stuff right here.  Good.  Stuff.  So, you know how artwork can be pricey, right?  And you know how I get my head stuck on something and then can't find what I really want, right?  Well, hold on to your socks here peeps.  The Sensational Sarah over at Thrifty Decor Chick blogged last night about the digital gallery that the New York Public Library has put together.  There are over 700,000 images.  Yes, that's a 7 with five zeroes behind it (and also a comma, but who really gives a hooey about the comma?).  The best part is that if you are printing images for your home/personal/educational use, they are free.  FREE!  As in, they don't cost you a penny.  Consider my socks rocked.  They can also be used for commercial purposes for a reproduction fee, so if that's how you roll then make sure you pay for it.  Don't cheat the NYPL!  Mmmkay? 
I have been looking for some artwork for D's nursery for quite some time now.  I knew what I wanted but couldn't find it.  Guess what?  I found it, thanks to the New York Public Library.  I'm not going to show you what I decided to go with just yet.  You'll have to wait for the finished nursery photos (insert evil laugh here).  Here are a few that didn't make the cut.
Godey’s Paris fashions America... Digital ID: 802230. New York Public Library
Godey’s Paris fashions America... Digital ID: 802236. New York Public Library

Godey’s Paris fashions America... Digital ID: 802267. New York Public Library

Godey’s Americanised Paris fas... Digital ID: 802292. New York Public Library

 Turns out that I am a sucker for prints from the Godey's Ladies Book, particularly those from the mid to late 1800s and those of Americanized Paris fashions.  Fancy that!  Now, bear in mind that there are 7 categories to choose from plus a search bar.  You want a magnolia?
Magnolia glauca = Magnolia gla... Digital ID: 1108856. New York Public Library
TADOW!

Mardi Gras, anyone?
Scene during Mardi Gras Carniv... Digital ID: 74284. New York Public Library

BOOYA!
Be prepared to spend a LOT of time there.  Just go ahead and make a pot of coffee and settle in.  You're going to be there for a while.  This site would also be amazingly awesome for homeschooling parents who are looking for historical photos.  If you can dream it, it's probably there.  I kid you not!
Speaking of D, I'm scheduled to be induced tomorrow (Sunday) night.  Here's to hoping that little darling comes quickly!
Now, get on over to the New York Public Library's digital gallery and find something amazing!


Peace and Love,
Jen

Comments

Popular Posts