Gabe and Rachel's Wedding Cakes

My cousin Gabe and his girlfriend of 4.5 years made it official last weekend in a fun and relaxed wedding at their home.  I knew pretty early on in the planning process that I'd be making a wedding cake.  Rachel chose a peacock theme for the wedding.  At first, we had some pretty bold ideas for the cake but Rachel's mom thought classic white was the way to go so Rachel and I hatched a plan...classic white wedding cake on the outside but beautiful peacock colors on the inside.  My husband refers to it as a "mullet cake", you know business in the front and party in the back.  Just replace front with outside and back with inside!  HA!  So here's the business side of the cake:


And here's the party side of the cake:


Fun fun fun!  And it elicited oohs and aahs when everyone saw the inside which is always cool!  The cake was white vanilla cake and the frosting was vanilla buttercream.  I colored the cake batter and swirled it in the pan.  If anyone's interested, I'll put up a tutorial on how to do that.  (That tutorial can now be found here.)  Thanks for stopping by.Just message me or post it in the comments!  The cake was covered and decorated in marshmallow fondant.  The topper was not edible (those were real feathers!) nor were the ribbon bands and diamond buckles on the bottom of each tier.

For the groom's cake, I knew I wanted to do something different.  We tossed a few ideas around but I was sold pretty quickly on a cheesecake bar.  We used a no bake recipe and put the cheesecakes in 9 oz. cups and served them with cherries and chocolate so that everyone could customize their cheesecake in their own way.  These went like hot cakes (cheesecakes?) and were terribly easy to make.  We served them from the cupcake tower that I made.



I was a bridesmaid and the morning of the wedding, I found out that we'd be dancing down the aisle as would Rachel and her mom.  I'm sure it was quite a sight to behold and I'm pretty thankful I haven't seen any video of that yet!  I'll leave you with the song we danced to though.  I'd also like to apologize to Bruno Mars in advance if the dancing was as terrible as I'm fairly certain it was!  ;-)


Comments

Popular Posts